9:47 AM

Secirity News

  • 14 terrorists killed in yesterday's

Army troops continued to engage positions of LTTE terrorists in the Northern Province yesterday (January 2) killing over 14 terrorists, military reports indicate.

In the Jaffna theatre of battle, troops launched a pre-emptive strike at the LTTE bunker defence in the Kilaly around 10.40, last morning. Ground sources have confirmed that three terrorists' bunkers were destroyed and four terrorists were killed in the incident. Also, five soldiers were killed and six others suffered injuries as the terrorists too had retaliated using small arms and mortars. The injured were admitted to the military hospital, Palaly.

Separately, troops gunned down two more terrorists detected ahead of Nagarkovil and Ponnar defence lines on the same day. The first terrorist was gunned own at Ponnar in the Kilaly area around 7.45.a.m while the second was shot down at Nagarkovil around 5.15.p.m Besides , one soldier died due to an explosion of trapped mine in the Kilaly area around 8.40.a.m.In the Wanni theatre battle, troops continued to give heavy beating at the terrorists' location on Vavuniya and Mannar fronts during the daytime yesterday.

  • LTTE terrorists fire mortars at Tamil villages in Mannar

LTTE terrorists fired mortar shells at Mannakulam Tamil village in Uilankuam - Mannar around 11.45 this forenoon (January 3). According to the civilian sources in the area a seven year old girl and a 50 year old mother have suffered serious injuries due to the attack.

The injured have been admitted to the Government Hospital in Mannar.The victims have been identified as Nagendran Jenarthana (7) and Pilippupille Reginamma (50) of Manakulam.

  • Army overruns LTTE bunker defence at Pallaikuli, Mannar

ri Lanka army overran the bunker defence of LTTE terrorists, at Pallaikuli, North of Mannar after hours-long battle this morning (January 3). According to the defence sources in Wanni, troops destroyed six LTTE bunkers during the military offensive launched around 6.a.m.

Army Radio monitoring units have revealed that six LTTE cadres were killed and over 12 others suffered injuries in the incident. Also, one army soldier died and 6 sustained injuries in the same incident. The injured have been directed to immediate medical attention.